Thursday, February 26, 2015

Reading List 2014

"A room without books is like a body without a soul."
-Cicero
 
"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who can't read them"
-Mark Twain
 
I wanted to share my reading list from 2014. I could not remember every book I read so there may be more. Also, some of these I read out loud to my children (although I won't include Dr. Seuss or Margaret Wise Brown on my list).

My 11 year old daughter is writing down the books she is reading for 2015. As of this week 2/26/2015 Grace has read over 80 books!!

"The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you'll go!"
-Dr. Seuss

I wish I had a love for books when I was her age. Even though I read as a child, I did not develop a true love for reading until my early 20s. Now I always have a good book to read. Reading is the first thing I do in the morning and the last thing I do at night. If you see a book on my list you'd like to know about feel free to ask, I am more than willing to give a review.

  'The list' 2014:
 
The Story of the Trapp Family Singers -Maria Augusta Trapp
Julie&Julia: My Year of Cooking Dangerously  -Julie Powell
George Muller -Janet and Goeff Benge
Into Thin Air -Jon Krakauer
Year of No Sugar -Eve O. Schaub
Impossible Beyond This Point -Joel Horn
As Long As Life -Mary Canaga Rowland, MD
Martin Luther -Edwin P. Booth
A Stolen Life -Jaycee Dugard
Hitler -Albert Marrin
Amelia Earhart: A Photographic Story of a Life -Tanya Lee Stone
 
"Knowing you have something good to read before bed is among the most pleasurable of sensations."
-Vladimir Nabokon
 
To Kill A Mockingbird -Harper Lee
Frankenstein -Mary Shelly
Animal Farm -George Orwell
For Whom the Bell Tolls -Ernest Hemingway
Villette -Charlotte Bronte
Cure -Belinda S. Frisch
The Disaster Diaries -Sam Sheridan
The Fault in Our Stars -John Green
World War Z -Max Brooks
 
"No matter how busy you may think you are, you must find time for reading, or surrender yourself to self-chosen ignorance."
-Confucius

 
Sweet Poison -David Gillespie
Parenting with Love and Logic -Foster Cline & Jim Fay
You Healthier Now -Lea Newman
The Happiness Diet -Tyler Graham & Drew Ramsey, MD
Healer -Joseph Dispenza
Vaccine Safety Manual -Neil Z. Miller
Cure Tooth Decay -Ramiel Nagel
Nourishing Traditions -Sally Fallon
 
"You're my place of quiet retreat I wait for your Word to renew me."
-Psalm 119:114
Divine Intervention -Daniel Fazzina
Pilgrims Progress -John Bunyan
Whatever Happened to the Human Race -Francis Schaeffer
Hope Rising -Kim Meeder
 
 
"A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one."
-George RR Martin
 
"Since it is likely that children will meet cruel enemies let them at least have heard of brave knights and heroic courage."
-CS Lewis
 
Pictures in order: a bookshelf in our hallway, my daughter's stack of "to reads", my husband's bedside table, my bedside table, the living room table where I like to read the Bible first thing in the morning and my son Robert.


4 comments:

  1. I didn't start reading for enjoyment until in my late 50's. Now I have read a couple thousand, but only three on your list. Two of the classics, For Whom the Bell Tlls and To Kill a Mocking bird (2 times).
    Most times when I satrt a book I tell my wife, well time to meet some new people. I am a serious Jack Higgins fan. :). Of course my ffavorite author is me. (smile)
    I like this entry, I too wish I had developed a love for book early. GRace is COOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Just read The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins. My first Higgins and I can see why you're a fan. Thanks for the comment!

      Delete
  2. "Adventures in Bode Land" has been included in our Sites To See #438. Be assured that we hope this helps to point many new visitors in your direction.

    http://asthecrackerheadcrumbles.blogspot.com/2015/05/sies-to-see-438.html

    ReplyDelete