Monday, May 16, 2016

Book List 2015

New Year's Day 2016


Happy New year from our family to yours! 

...I started this post in January, here it is the middle of May… 2016
Where does time go? I've been taking classes online and when I am "in school" I just can't focus on much else. Hopefully I will take time this week and catch up on the internet! But then again my classes start again on Wednesday, so maybe not. 
Here it is, what I wrote 5 1/2 months ago:


In 2015 I had 2 resolutions: (1. to read one book a week or 52 books total and (2. do one pull-up.
I am happy to report that as of 3 hours before midnight on December 31, 2015, I completed the first resolution. I finished the last sentence in a book called On Writing by Stephen King. An interesting read.
I did not complete the second resolution. I did work on it but failed. I'm ok with that. Maybe this year will be the year of pull-ups (and I don't mean toddler diapers)! (So far this is not the year of pull-ups.)

Here are the 52 books- not in the order I read them.

Classics:
1. Moby Dick by Herman Melville
2. The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway

Young Adult Fiction:
3. Wonder by RJ Palacio
4. Miracles on Maple Hill by Virginia Sorensen
5. A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle
6. The Fat Boy Chronicles by Diane Lang and Michael Buchanan
7. The River by Mary Jane Beaufrand
8. Milkweed by Jerry Spinelli
9. The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins
10. Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins
11. The Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins
12. Out of the Dust by Karen Hesse
13. The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane by Kate DiCamillo

Biography, Autobiography or Memior:
14. We Fought Back Teen Resisters of the Holocaust by Allan Zullo
15. Elly My True Story of the Holocaust by Elly Berkovits Gross
16. We Bought a Zoo by Benjamin Mee
17. In the Sea There Are Crocodiles by Fabio Geda
18. Destined to Live: A True Story of a Child in the Holocaust by Ruth Gruener
19. The Story of My Life by Hellen Keller
20. Marley & Me by John Grogan
21. Bossypants by Tina Fey
22. Crazy Brave A Memior by Joy Harjo
23. Wild in the Hollow by Amber C. Haines
24. The Hardest Peace by Kara Tippetts
25. Becoming Odyssa Epic Adventures on the Appalachian Trail by Jennifer Pharr Davis
26. Called Again by Jennifer Pharr Davis
27. WAVE by Sonali Deraniyagala
28. A Severe Mercy by Sheldon Vanauken
29. Open Heart by Elie Wiesel
30. Mud Season by Ellen Stimson
31. It's Only Slow Food Until You Try to Eat It Misadventures of a Suburban Hunter-Gatherer by Bill Heavy
32. What Was D-Day? by Patricia Demuth
33. Last Train a Holocaust Story by Rona Arato
34. Behind the Secret Window by Nelly S. Toll
35. Same Kind of Different as Me by Ron Hall and Denver Moore
36. First: What it Takes to Win by Rich Froning
37. Waiting: True Confessions of a Waitress by Debra Ginsberg
38. Here I Stand: A Life of Martin Luther by Roland H. Bainton
39. Julia Child by Laura Shapiro

Novel/Fiction:
40. All the Light We Cannot See by Anthony Doerr
41. The Walking Dead Book One (the graphic novel) by Robert Kirkman
42. The Zombie Survival Guide by Max Brooks
43. The Help by Kathryn Stockett
44. The Eagle Has Landed by Jack Higgins
45. I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
46. Cranford by Elizabeth Gaskell (can be considered a classic)

Informational:
47. On Writing by Stephen King
48. The Happiness Project by Gretchen Rubin
49. Breaking Ground Keys for Successful Online Learning by Hassenflung, Traphagen, and Connor
50. French Women Don't Get Fat: The Secret of Eating for Pleasure by Mireille Guiliano
51. Animal, Vegetable, Miracle A Year of Food Life by Barbara Kingsolver
52. How to Save Your Own Life 15 Lessons on Finding Hope in Unexpected Places by Michael Gill

Yep, I gave Jack Higgins a try and I have to say, not too shabby! I couldn't put it down. It helped that it was set in WWII. My current study obsession.

Again, Happy New Year! Here's to second chances (pull-ups included), more adventure, more opportunities to receive love and to give it away, and here's to a new day. Also, happy spring… and summer...




No comments:

Post a Comment